|Other LYR Rolling Stock|
Not owned by L&Y Trust but important as survivors from L&Y days.
|No.957 (No. 52044)|
|Locomotive: 0-6-0 'Ironclad' Tender Engine more..|
|0-6-0 A Class Tender Engine No.1300|
Originally preserved and restored by the family who owned the former Fairclough building business, it is now owned by Andy Booth.
|2-4-2T Class 5 Radial Tank No.1008|
|Built in Horwich 1889. Preserved as a static exhibit at the National Railway Museum, York.|
|0-4-0ST Wren (18" gauge)|
|The original Manchester & Leeds Railway, destined to be renamed L&Y in 1847, had its locomotive, carriage and wagon department at Miles Platting, Manchester. A huge fire there in 1873 led to the development of Newton Heath as the carriage and wagon works, opened in 1877. This enabled Miles Platting to concentrate on locomotive building but urbanisation of this area restricted further expansion, resulting in the development in 1885/1886 of Horwich as the locomotive works. William Barton Wright was Chief Locomotive Superintendent and played a major role in planning of Horwich; its construction was progressing well when he resigned in mid-1886. His successor was John Aspinall (designer of the Pug class of engines) who not only oversaw the completion of Horwich but ordered the locomotives for the 18-inch gauge railway (between seven and eight miles in length) that served the works. Two locomotives (Robin and Wren) were ordered from Beyer Peacock in 1886, joined by a third (Dot) from that supplier in 1887. Five sister engines (Fly, Wasp, Midget, Mouse and Bee) were built at Horwich from 1891 to 1901. Used for internal distribution around Horwich works including wage packets. Withdrawn from service in 1962 and preserved as a static exhibit at the National Railway Museum, York.|
|4-4-2 Atlantic (5" gauge model)|
|Constructed and driven by Ted Holden, who served his time at Low Moor (Bradford). He then transferred to Blackpool North where he rose to Shed Foreman, before retiring at Hunts Bank. Pictured in 1972. Featured with permission of copyright owner Ken Roberts.|
|Saloon No. 1 (Directors Saloon)|
|Owned by Tony Cox (founder member of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Preservation Society) and normally on public display at the Oxenhope Exhibition Shed of the Worth Valley Railway but may be relocated away from public access to satisfy operational requirements. 6-wheel Clerestory Director's Saloon No 1, Newton Heath 1878. Later No. 2, as an Engineer's Saloon, converted to bogies and being restored in this condition.|